Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Reflect, review, reveal

It's getting closer and closer to Christmas, and I feel compelled to reflect upon and review the year. I must say that despite 2006 being very mundane but consistent, it has been quite significant to me.

Apart from:
1) maintaining consistency in my yoga sessions;
2) using an electric toothbrush to prevent plaque and cavity (thanks chiki);
3) baking a lot more;
4) making lots of jellies
5) owning my new SE K800i (thanks yankad) and an MP4 player;
6) learning how to give others the benefit of a doubt (thanks limpa);
7) watching more movies (thanks dabo dabo);
8) having been a bridesmaid for the first time in my life;
9) having visited Kuwait;
10) a hectic work schedule (but that's another story altogether);

...as a way forward to achieve self-gratification, I took up a second instrument. Four strings tuned to perfect fifths, it's the smallest and the highest pitch of all string instruments of the orchestra, playing only the treble. The hourglass, varnished wooden construction consists of two upper bouts and two lower bouts, the neck, the scroll, a bridge and a chinrest, to describe simply. Four strings on the fingerboard G-D-A-E, as you would have guessed its description by now, let me reveal the bowed instrument, the violin. MY violin.
.
.
.
.
.
Added one more pic



You don't need to have perfect pitch to play this instrument but you've got to have a very good pair of ears for accurate hearing, a toned right arm for flexible bowing, firm left finger muscles for finger positions on the strings, a good standing posture with your left foot forward for presentation and an ounce of patience.

"Mum, I'd like to take up the violin" I said one day. "Whoa! What inspired you?" she prompted. "Uhm, nothing. I just want to. So what do you think?" I probed. "Well," she paused, obviously thinking very hard. "The violin is the hardest string instrument to pick up, you know," she sort of warned. "But since you already have the piano as your first instrument," she continued positively, "it shouldn't be hard to catch up," she finished.

You see, my mum's a violin teacher as well as the piano (and the not-so-popular-anymore organ). So she must know what she was advising. And in case you're wondering, yes, I know my mum's a violin teacher which makes it a lot easier for me but no, she's not my teacher, thank you. However, she's my personal coach. A naggy one though.
.
.
.
.
.
"Teacher, I broke my G-string. I think I plucked it too hard on pizzicato," said I, three months into learning (months ago). That was one funny sentence I had to cough out but no fret, violinists (as I call myself one too) always carry replacement strings.



So there! I would like to think that this is my greatest initiative this year. I am only happy to close this door behind me in 18 days knowing that I have given myself a little push and an upgrade which I promised myself for 2006.

Isn't it time for you to reflect, review and reveal too?



13 flowers for this blog
ah~~~ finally there is an update. ^_^ Ok, need to read it now. :P
fish fish | Homepage | 13.12.06 - 5:36 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An electric toothbrush won't prevent you from getting the plague, dear PrincEss.

It may, however, help remove/prevent plaque.
Friend For Life | 13.12.06 - 5:36 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha! Thanks, FFL. I've changed it. Anymore typos?
Primrose | Homepage | 13.12.06 - 7:53 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing that really caught my eye, dear PrincEss, wasn't a typo. It was your photo. Oh, how wonderfully, delightfully eye-catching you always are!
Friend For Life | 13.12.06 - 1:06 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow -- you travlled many s-miles on several fronts --- the bestA is that shown in the pic, yeah, so "delighfoolly eye-sketching", jest plagiarising the precedent commender!

Don' lay a Brendan P charge on Desi. puur mousey-writHer who did not even get to upgrade back to LapDog PC after the first one went for a walk with the ugliest lad in the neighbouurhood to the sungei of no rturn.

Happy Nu'e Year, Prose
ylchong | 13.12.06 - 8:15 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

note to all guys: violinist (pardon my spellingg) are sexay... really wan, look at vanessa mae and all wink wink..
mrs jeff buckley | Homepage | 13.12.06 - 10:19 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you are back!!! :D have been waiting for your update for so long now... finally! oh wow, you are learning violin? hmmmm it's a good combination with piano along i am sure.. perhaps, one day.. we can play duet
MeiyeN | Homepage | 14.12.06 - 10:46 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you play like Vanessa? Doing high kicks and jumps in miniskirt and minishorts too?!

;p
titoki | Homepage | 14.12.06 - 1:45 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

am so much intriguing by this post. I love to read stuffs like this, being reflections over our past, fast forward a new chapter of life.

am proud of you, you know why?
charlene | Homepage | 17.12.06 - 3:34 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah been waiting for ur updates ;p

it's good to reflect, review and reveal. i should do that too.

i think taking up violin to cool. way to go gurl!
kruy | Homepage | 17.12.06 - 6:37 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fish fish: And you always have updates. How did you manage to find the time?

FFL: *blush*

Happee Christmas and Nu' Ear, Desi.

Hi Reta, you spelt right. Heh, heh!

MeiyeN: Come come, we play duet. My mum dun wanna layan me wor...

Titoki: Aiyah, I shy wanna show my legs jiek. They aren't very long wor. See my arms enough lah!

Char: Why?

kruy: I'll be waiting to read yours.
Primrose | Homepage | 18.12.06 - 11:55 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

deep inside your thoughts You have been kind of your post. Keep writing.
charlene | Homepage | 20.12.06 - 8:35 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so engrossed with the holidays bugs that I have yet to make my own reflections of 2006. But I'm surely looking forward to another year full of mysteries and surprises!

You're really a musician, Fran! =) Such an achievement!

Have a wonderful Christmas! =)
Lene | 21.12.06 - 9:48 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: