Sunday, September 10, 2006

Baked cheesecake

I have always been well known for my (signature) non-baked cheesecakes, be it classic lemon, orange, oreos, strawberry swirl etc.

This time, I attempted to bake them instead of just refrigerating the batter. And I've gone slightly berzerk over the past two weeks baking a total of 4 cheesecakes, making family, friends and colleagues fat! *wicked grin* Somehow, nobody has asked me to stop baking just yet.

I baked 2 classic cheesecakes last weekend, a coffee cheesecake yesterday evening and an orange cheesecake this afternoon. I'm going to post the recipe for baked cheesecakes, with flavours as variations. It's simply easy!


You need almost the same ingredients as non-baked cheesecakes:
Sweet biscuits, finely crushed and butter, mix well, for the base
250g Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
150g whipping cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
60g sugar (or more if you've got a sweet tooth)
20g corn flour
Tip: Philadelphia cheeses are costly. I suggest Anchor brand cream cheese which works the same and cost much cheaper at a bulk of 1kg
For coffee cheesecake: Add 1/2 teaspoon nescafe or any instant coffee (sparingly), dissolved in one table spoon hot water
For orange cheesecake: Juice from an orange and rind, finely chopped


Line baking tin with butter. Firmly press biscuit to the base
Tip 1: If you do not fancy any base for the cake, line tin with tracing paper
Tip 2: You can use a sponge cake as your cheesecake base, firmly pressed
Tip 3: You can substitute butter with egg white to mix with crushed biscuits. Butter gives a softer, looser texture whilst egg white turns the biscuit mixture into dough-like, firm texture


Use the electric beater and start off with the block of cream cheese, sugar and gradually add whipping cream. Beat until smooth.
Note: Preheat the oven to 180c already


Gradually add lightly beaten eggs and corn flour. Finally, add the dissolved coffee or orange juice and rind. Mix well.


Pour mixture into baking tin. Now, the trick to a good baked cheesecake lies in its steam-baking technique. Put the baking tin into another larger tin, fill it with water,half the height of the original baking tin. Decrease the oven temperature to 160c and bake for about 45 mins.


When the 45 mins are up, increase the temperature slightly to 180c for 15 mins until the top browns nicely. That's my coffee cheesecake. Yummy!
Tip:When it's all done, remove the outer baking tin and leave the original baking tin to cool IN the oven which is still warm. This is to avoid a crater effect in the middle of the cake.


And this is my orange cheesecake. Yummy-er!

I personally think that baked cheesecakes are slightly easier to prepare than non-baked ones but it's a matter of preference anyway. I wish you were all my neighbours and I'll gladly bake one for each and every one of you and make YOU fat! Heh, heh!

Final tip: Refrigerated baked cheesecakes taste better with it's firmer texture. Then again, it's simply delicious when it's fresh from the oven, warm, moist and soft. Hmm, up to you how you like it to be. Refrigerated cheesecakes can keep up to a week.

One observation on my taste buds though. Coffee is strong and may overshadow the taste of cheese in a cheesecake. It was obvious that it wasn't my favourite. Orange was pleasant but I still think that original cheesecake tasted the best, with or without a base.

Have fun trying!



12 flowers for this post
So when am I ever going to get the chance to taste your cakes?
Imran | Homepage | 11.09.06 - 12:56 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes, it sure sounds easy to make, but I prefer the one that homemade my a Frances, be it baked or not. Now, when can I have that chance? Hmmm... wait till I am succeed in my diet. -_-""" My sis makes superb marble cheese cake, maybe the 2 of u can exchange.
fish fish | Homepage | 11.09.06 - 5:57 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cream cheese is evil but I still love it. Please save one piece for me, will ya?
titoki | Homepage | 11.09.06 - 10:11 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that looks yummy indeed! how I hope I can bake! But nonetheless, I'll keep this recipe. =) For future use! :P
Lene | 11.09.06 - 6:52 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wicked, a cheesecake pro! yeah, when am i going to have a chance to taste ur super duper yummy cheesecake?
Anonymous | 12.09.06 - 11:48 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

opps, sorry forgot to put my name in. the above anonymous is mua, hehe..

p/s: i've done my meme ;p
kruy | Homepage | 12.09.06 - 11:51 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whoa......... i love cheesecakes and i am so envy that you can make such delicious cheesecakes...
MeiyeN | Homepage | 12.09.06 - 2:30 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imran: End of this month, perhaps?

titoki: No need to save, save all. I give you whole cake oso can.

fish fish: I think where you are now, there will be lots of delicious cheesecakes!

Lene: Haven't done meme yet?

kruy: I'm hopping over later to read on your meme. We should have a bloggers' get-together. Then I can make cheesecake.

MeiyeN: Hello, thanks for coming by. I know you love cheesecake. 2 cakes and a drink! Heh, heh!
Primrose | Homepage | 12.09.06 - 5:28 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna try this out .. when i get a chance.. and some free time...
Mama BoK | Homepage | 13.09.06 - 6:41 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehehe...i think when i have da time, i will try out your cheesecakes recipes... you know, they are really tempting!!! *drool*
MeiyeN | Homepage | 13.09.06 - 2:21 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooooooooooo....I love cheesecake, baked or chilled.....

*drool non-stop*

Too bad I live too far from you else I can just drive to your house now and kidnap 1 piece....

Hungry *remind myself to buy a pc of Coffee Bean's cheesecake for lunch afterwards*
Papercrazy | Homepage | 14.09.06 - 10:23 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already done my meme. Do check it out! =p
Lene | 15.09.06 - 4:19 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: