Saturday, May 06, 2006

Mocha jelly

I assure you that this is not a food blog. I don't know what got into me lately but all I wanted to make are desserts, particularly jellies and puddings. Maybe because it's easy. Maybe a little practice will make perfect my little domesticated being. Maybe I'm feeling joyous that I don't have to work weekends anymore. Oh well!

You will need these (simple) ingredients from your kitchen.

(I used that cup for measurement)
Half cup cocoa powder (that's about 3 tablespoons full)
Quarter cup instant coffee powder (or simply nescafe/decaf)
Quarter cup milk powder
One and a quarter cup of fine sugar
A pack of agar-agar (in malay) or tan choy kou (in cantonese). You can get this "jelly vermicelli" from any sundry shops or "jelly section" in supermarkets. It's a cheaper alternative to gelatine, gives a great jelly texture and sets fast - in 2 hours!

Firstly, boil about 2 large bowls of water. At low heat, stir in the sugar and put in the whole pack of agar-agar. The agar-agar will soften like vermicelli, continue stirring till it dissolves. Finally, put in the rest of the powder mix and stir evenly. Pour into jelly moulds and refrigerate.



Wala! Mocha jelly!

Caution: Do not eat at night. You might have to count sheep!



4 flowers for this post
if you substitute the coffee/chocolate with vodka, you'll get one hell of a potent jelly.... heeheh
michaelooi | Homepage | 07.05.06 - 12:24 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.
Imran | Homepage | 07.05.06 - 10:21 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the yummy jelly. I am craving for more.
chiki | 08.05.06 - 10:39 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wah michaelooi, I think I'll hyper gila!

Hello Imran! How's your bruise?

chiki: May I have some more? [Oliver Twist impersonation] Haha!
Primrose | Homepage | 08.05.06 - 11:10 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: