Friday, February 24, 2006

A new day

With the sound of the engine slowly warming up to a monotonous hum and the air-conditioning on low, I basked in the morning warmth and braced myself for the horrendous, almost inevitable morning traffic.

Oddly, I like the bumper-to-bumper crawl in the silence of the car without the radio drumming the ears some days. There’s just so much to see.

Just look at the man in the car with a cigarette in hand and wonder if he is taking it on an empty stomach. Just look at the little kids prancing about in the backseat and wonder if they are being sent off to day school. Just look at the police directing traffic and wonder if his arms are tired. Just look at all the cars squeezing out of the bottleneck and wonder what the jam was all about. Just look at the many motorcycles zooming past and wonder what happens when it rains. Just look at how blue the morning sky is with puffy clouds and wonder why it is bird-less. Just look at the beautiful green trees along the road and wonder if it provides enough oxygen in the air of fumes. Just look at the peaceful cemetery along the highway and wonder if there are lost souls. Just look at the swings at the playground and wonder if kids swing on them. And materialistically, I admire all the nice, expensive cars on the road and wonder when I can afford one. I drool at all the nice, big houses and wonder why the rich are rich. The list is endless.

How often is it that we take the time to observe all of these? Not when we are cursing and swearing at the stupid car in front of us driving like a slow coach. Or at the stupid motorbike riding so close to the car. Or at that stupid lady driver who didn’t put the left indicator. Or at the stupid traffic light turning red so quickly. Or at the stupid policeman who’s holding up traffic. Or at the stupid heavy rain which is slowing you down. The list is endless too.

.
.
.
.
.

Have you ever wondered how often we take a new day, or everyday, for granted?



7 flowers for this post
yes, we are so busy making ends meet that we forget about our surroudings. we live in the present, and the present is where we live. the present is NOW, the present is everything surround us.

if only we can spend a moment or two everyday to slow down and ponder and appreciate life... if only we remember to...
kruy | Homepage | 24.02.06 - 4:03 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i always look at the flowers, the dogs in houses, the cute cats running across the road.. the rabbit that tours the lane itself...so cute.. =)

oh oh and butterflies that always seem to flutter by my windscreen.
cyber-red | Homepage | 24.02.06 - 4:12 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I like to take 30 min to walk to school sometimes, just to give a good look at the things around. I even sometimes will greet morning to all those trees and animals that pass by. *silently of course* :P
fish fish | Homepage | 24.02.06 - 4:32 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do that everyday. I question why I'm here on earth, and what is my true calling. I wonder if there's more to life rather than just going through the motions of paying the bills and ending up more in debt. I wonder how can we put a price on a person's life, something which is easily done when you sign up for life insurance.

Sometimes, I just wish to be happy with what I have, but then the people around me keep pointing out my shortcomings. I spend the whole day thinking and wondering, whether it's just me or is the rest of the world undergoing the same thing?
Imran | Homepage | 24.02.06 - 4:35 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i see trees their leaves dancing for me
i see clouds, like castles in the air
i see flowers in bloom
better steal, i see the luvly Gardner too

Butt most of all
I'd like to see young children at play
Or a pair of young lovers in silhoutte
it reminds me of First of May
Yes, I will try to remember
Everydae is a Nu'eDae
I like my sundae & primeday!
Anonymous | 24.02.06 - 7:01 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, getting all philosophical on us, eh?
Yuen Li | Homepage | 24.02.06 - 7:57 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just don't forget to stop and appreciate things around you. Never take a day for granted.

And Desi, what are you doing writing as Annonymous?
Primrose | Homepage | 27.02.06 - 12:48 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: