Saturday, May 15, 2004

Van Helsing

Primrose: P
Colleague: C

Wednesday
P: Hey, have you watched Van Helsing?
C: *two thumbs up*

Thursday
P: I heard that the movie was good
C: Veeeeery good. You MUST watch it!

Friday
P: What was Van Helsing about?
C: Eh, eh, good movie-lah. Horror-one. Got dracula-one. Go watch it-lah!


Saturday - I had to go watch it! For somebody who isn't really into the movies, my curiosity got the better of me.

Werewolves, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and Hugh Jackman kicking some booty. What else do you need?

With vampires flying around and werewolves chasing around, I found the script weak but not dreadful. For a movie that doesn't focus much on plot or characters or logic, there was actually plenty of all three. While there was an interesting backstory that explains the origins of all major characters like Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, Van Helsing, Heroine Anna and others, there was much dependence on great special effects and action to grab viewers' attention.

Van Helsing is an action film (rather than horror) that will appeal to those fans. It has the va-va-voom of vampires becoming bats, people turning into werewolves and lots of chasing and fighting scenes. If you want the traditional Dracula-type movie, look elsewhere.

My *hoot, hoot* for Kate Beckinsale. I like her hair!

No comments: