Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Office politics

"I raise my glass to Ms. X for her dedication and professionalism, I pay my highest tribute..."
"...I would like to end this speech with a toast..."

Gee, save that for your best friend's wedding, will ya? I have been to many farewell dinners but tonight's was a bit over the top. Since when a farewell dinner became a tribute with speeches? It's just Ms. X for goodness sake! Oh, so fake! So pretentious! Such fibs! Listen to those nonsensical quibbles!

“I stay out of the office politics as much as I can”, you vehemently said. However, there is no denying that it happens at every workplace, no matter how small or how big. Favouritism and perceptions of favouritism (think the rumour mill and the grapevine). Unfairness (who said the world is fair). Conflicts of interest. Hipocrisy. Confidentiality (think blabbermouths). Work environment (think women)! It's simply annoying to see pets benefits from the boss' favour.

So what do you do? Do you play the game or pass? Right, play the game. Pick up your game piece and proceed straight to "GO" on the boardgame. Oh, perhaps you believe that you're above such foolishness but it's really just human nature in the workplace. I believe that you will have to be a hipocrite to win. Seriously, honesty isn't the best policy here.

Then again, want to pass the game? Well, according to feng shui master Lillian Too (if you want to believe in her crap), place a rooster figurine on your desk and it should fend office politics and back-stabbing! *bah humbug*


[If you find a job you love, you will never work a day in your life - Confucius]